Here in snow country we are settled in to what is a very long stretch of potentially boring days. The holidays are over. It is a very long time till we will get outside on a regular basis. The snow that seemed so beautiful at first is now dirty and the snow banks are piling up. Our vehicles are all the same shade of brownish grey, but if we go to the car wash our doors will freeze shut. People get grumpy. Of course, not everyone lives in a cold climate, but even in warmer places the days till springtime can get long. Help! Please give us five suggestions for combating cabin fever and staying cheerful in our monochromatic world?
1) Lots of movies. I love to catch up on all of the great movies that I missed in the last year, as well as old classics. This week, I’m really looking forward to watching both the Golden Compass and Juno.
2) Cooking and baking. Yesterday I made homemade chicken and dumplings for the first time in my life. And I made homemade chocolate chip cookies the night before.
3) Chopping vegetables. sweet yellow peppers, bright orange carrots, crisp green celery.
4) Playing games. My family’s favorite game right now is “Carcassone” – in which you create your own kingdom and have cities and farms and roads. But we also play a lot of cards. Pinochle, Hearts, 500…
5) I’m thinking of taking knitting back up. If I can remember how to cast on the stitches. I have some friends that are having babies and I’m thinking about making them booties.